Big Data vs. Artificial Intelligence – Introduction:
The growth of the world is impulsive in all ways, likewise the data. Data size across the world is huge, so technically increase in the data constitute the name Big Data. The time of spread sheet is over, A google search, Passport scan, a barcode reading in supermarket, your online shopping history, An EKG reading, CCTV footage, A photo of a sandwich, a voice message, A tweet, all of this contains data that can be collected, Analysed and Monetised. From the realisation of how to handle huge amount of data, all the co-corporate giant, technical leader are chasing the Big Data to make a huge change in the technological landscape. The normal question arise on every individual mind will be – Is every data belongs to Big Data? Yes, Big Data is a word that refer to huge volume of data in both structured and unstructured format.
Artificial Intelligence is the study and design of intelligent agent, these intelligent agents have the ability to analyse the environments and produce actions which maximize success.
AI research uses tools and insights from many fields, including computer science, psychology, philosophy, neuroscience, cognitive science, linguistics, operations research, economics, control theory, probability, optimization and logic.AI research also overlaps with tasks such as robotics, control systems, scheduling, data mining, logistics, speech recognition, facial recognition and many others.
Artificial intelligence can be explained as the automation adapted by the machines upon human training in contrast to the natural human intelligence. Consider a situation where vehicle who can think and work much like a human driver, but also analysing other things that make the trip safer faster and more efficient, Analysing vast amount of medical data from different locations and giving proper solution, personal assistant for individuals. All these will be possible only if AI and big data work hand by hand. Big data analysis will reveal patterns and connections that can vastly improve human activities. Using that data Artificial Intelligence we can build automated machines.
Below is a diagram which shows how Big Data vs. Artificial Intelligence is correlated with each other.
Comparing Artificial Intelligence and Big Data:
The concept of artificial intelligence and big data is distinct and unique but they work together.
Artificial intelligence is the recreation of human intelligence with machines. Making Artificial Intelligence stronger is nothing more than making a kid to grow up intelligently. Most of the time we teach them and more than that they observe and learn by them self. In both the cases the kid is learning with respect to the data points and becoming smarter. Artificial intelligence can help to synthesize, process and analyse huge amount of data given from big data edge. AI is not a natural intelligence but created by human to accomplish certain task. This can perform cognitive works like humans. Data analysis and interpretation is very much important for Artificial intelligence, Collecting data (data can be structured, unstructured or semi-structured) and solving complex real time problems automatically is the challenging task that the Artificial Intelligence Machines do. The AI-enabled machine when compared to a traditional system can solve problems through interpretations that they made from the input data. Artificial Intelligence learns from the data and react according to what it learns. Like this way AI systems can expand and adjust the changes.
Characteristics of Artificial Intelligence:
- Natural language processing (NLP): The system will be able to analyse and understand what humans are talking
- Vision System: These will analyse, interpret understand visual input on the computer. Doctors use clinical expert system to diagnose the patient
- Speech Recognition: understanding human language and responding to it is the achievement of intelligent system with the help of machine translator
- Gaming: It have a huge hand in strategic gaming, where machine have to think and take decisions based on heuristic knowledge
- Text Recognition: Understanding human language is very challenging task. The intelligent system can understand and adapt the human language.
- Intelligent Robots: Robots are able to perform the tasks given by a human. They have sensors to detect physical data from the real world such as light, heat, temperature, movement, sound, bump, and pressure. They have efficient processors, multiple sensors and huge memory, to exhibit intelligence. In addition, they are capable of learning from their mistakes and they can adapt to the new environment.
Benefits of Artificial Intelligence
- Rational Thinking
- Fast Decision Making
- Plan Creation and Execution
- AI chat bot helps in interacting
- AI have capacity to process millions of sensor input
- The aim is to extend probability of success and not accuracy
- The goal is to simulate natural intelligence to resolve an advanced problem
- AI is the higher cognitive process
- It results in developing a system to mimic human to retort behave in an exceedingly circumstances
- AI results in intelligence or knowledge.
Big Data is a collection of huge amount of data which is still growing. Because the data type is different and size of the data is huge and complex no traditional systems can store and process data efficiently. Some of the example are New York Stock exchange (NYSE) it generate approximately one Terabyte(TB) data per day, 500+ TB data are produced per day from the social media giant Facebook. Normally data could be in three forms:
- Structured: Any data that can be stored, processed and accessed in a particular format is called structured data.
- Unstructured: Data with no particular structure or format is un-structured data like Google search or email with attachment or a text file.
- Semi-Structured: This will hold structured and unstructured data, example is personal data stored as XML file, Data from twitter in Json Format.
Why Big Data is so popular?
Its because of the characteristics big data is having:
- Volume: Volume is probably the best known characteristic of big data; this is no surprise, considering more than 90 percent of all today’s data was created in the past couple of years.
- Variety: When it comes to big data, we don’t only have to handle structured data but also semi structured and mostly unstructured data as well. Big data seems to be unstructured, but besides audio, image, video files, social media updates, and other text formats there are also log files, click data, machine and sensor data, etc.
- Velocity: Velocity refers to the speed at which data is being generated, produced, created, or refreshed. Google alone processes on average more than 40,000 search queries every second.
- Variability: Variability in big data’s context refers to a few different things. One is the number of inconsistencies in the data. These need to be found by anomaly and outlier detection methods in order for any meaningful analytics to occur.
- Veracity: Veracity refers to the trustworthiness of the data.
Benefits of Big Data:
- Cost reduction
- While taking decisions organisation can utilise the outside intelligence
- Services can be improved
- Time Reduction
- Better operational efficiency
- Better and improved services
- Recommendation System
Big Data vs. Artificial Intelligence – Conclusion:
Artificial Intelligent (AI) thrives on data. The greater the amount of data, the more effectively an Artificial Intelligent system can analyse, learn and evolve. An Artificial Intelligent (AI) system can help find significant trends and patterns in big data that might otherwise be misinterpreted or go undiscovered. Big data makes it possible for Artificial Intelligent (AI) to reach its fullest potential. There is no artificial intelligence without big data.